When to use Aphytis?
Use Aphytis for the biological control of California red scale (Aonidiella aurantii), Oleander scale (Aspidiotus nerii), San José scale (Quadraspidiotus perniciosus) and other scale insects.
How does Aphytis work?
The adult female of Aphytis melinus parasites on armoured scale insects. The female deposits one or more eggs beneath the scale cover and upon hatching, the larva proceed to feed on the scale. Aphytis melinus does not only kill hosts by parasitism. About 45% of hosts are killed by host feeding.
How to use Aphytis
- Release first thing in the morning or late afternoon
- Open package carefully
- Distribute the product evenly across the plot
- Use 1 Aphytis bottle per 5.000 m2, or 1 point of distribution per 500 m2
- Suspend the strips in the crop
- Also use the packaging (can + lid) as distribution points
- Release higher doses in the areas of hotspots
Best working conditions of Aphytis
The parasitic wasp is most effect at temperatures around 25°C. At this temperature the highest amount of eggs is laid. The lower temperature limit for its development is 13ºC and the upper limit is 38ºC.
Biological beneficials have a very short life expectancy and therefore need to be introduced into the crop as soon as possible after receipt. Failure to do so can have a negative impact on their quality. In case you do need to store Aphytis, please follow the instructions below. Koppert B.V. is not liable for any loss of quality if the product is stored for longer than recommended and/or under incorrect conditions.
- Storage after receipt: 2 days
- Storage temperature: 15-18°C (not in the refrigerator)
- In the dark